Top 3 Products & Services
Dated: Feb. 26, 2013
Related CategoriesA+ Certification CompTIA
Hard Disk Drive
Windows Server OS
You can easily reset most passwords, especially online passwords. But if you have forgotten your Windows login password you can find yourself in serious trouble. Without login information you can’t access your files or softwares. Unlocking your won’t be easy, but it is possible. There are two basic ways of doing this. In the following text you can find out how.
Windows has a a built in option of resetting your password. It would be pointless when everyone could use this, so it is necessary to make certain changes if you want to use this option. The procedure implies creating a disc for returning your password. The disc itself can be any USB device for storing data, even a floppy disc. The instructions that will be described are only for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
To start the procedure, start Windows search and type in "Password Reset Disk".
- You should see the option "Create a password reset disk" first. By clicking on this option you open the Forgotten Password Wizard.
- The first window contains the basic explanations, when you have read everything click on the next button.
- The following window contains the options for choosing the disc that will serve as a key in the case you lose your password.
- After choosing the wanted disc click on the "Next" button. Now you have to input the password that you are currently using.
- When you have done that, click on the "Next" button again to start the creation of the disc for returning your password. The creation should take only a few seconds.
- Resetting the Windows login is now pretty easy. All you have to do is to click on the link "reset password" under the login screen. You will be shown simple instructions on the screen that are necessary for successfully resetting your login password.
Using the reset a password disc is the right solution if you have prepared before, but what happens if you didn’t take the needed steps before you have lost your password? If this is truly the case, you have to use a special program that will enable unlocking your operating system.
The best free option is Ophcrack, a program that guesses the code by using a special program called "the rainbow table". You have to download Ophcrak in ISO format before you can use it. Then you need to burn it on a disc. In this way you get a live disc from which you can upload the system.
In most computers the optic disc is set to be the first bootable device. If that is not the case, you need to change the settings in BIOS to secure that the optic drive is at the first place. When you upload the system using Ophcrack you have to choose the fitting mode from the menu. Automatic is already selected and you should use it. After confirming the selected mode, the software will start executing. If the program is successfully executed the password will show up in the right column inside the main window.
The Ophcrack tool has a few serious limitations. If the passwords are longer the extraction process can last a lot, and complex password demand more time than simple ones. Passwords that go over a designated length and have a lot of random characters won’t be returned.
Now that you've gotten free know-how on this topic, try to grow your skills even faster with online video training. Then finally, put these skills to the test and make a name for yourself by offering these skills to others by becoming a freelancer. There are literally 2000+ new projects that are posted every single freakin' day, no lie!